Assistant Professor - Department of Economics Kalinga University, New Raipur
A technique for coming up with ideas and sharing expertise to address a challenge is brainstorming. When participants are encouraged to generate ideas on their own and to deliberate without interruption, it is what makes a brainstorming session effective. After all the ideas are presented and considered, people usually come to a consensus as a group, but it can also be done individually. Brainstorming is an approach to problem solving that has been around for more than 70 years and is frequently utilised with students today.
Students can establish connections, think critically about problems and potential solutions, and collaborate on ideas as they brainstorm. The exercise enables students to explore and develop their capacity for critical and lateral thought. Brainstorming helps students actively participate in the learning process, which enhances academic success.
There is a fundamental structure to follow when creating brainstorming sessions, albeit techniques differ. Students are divided into groups once the problem or issue is explained, and they then brainstorm every solution option that comes to mind. After the brainstorming session is over, typically after a predetermined amount of time, discussion of these ideas occurs. Every suggestion is examined and taken into account, some are dropped, and a final list is ranked for potential usage as a solution to the problem.
Students may be inspired to freely voice their ideas and opinions during class brainstorming sessions. The activity gives students a forum where they can express their ideas without worrying that they would be incorrect because there are no right or wrong answers. Through brainstorming, the class is given the chance to draw on their prior knowledge and make connections between the subject at hand and what they have studied thus far. Additionally, it teaches students to respect their classmates by listening to and taking into account the opinions of others. Moreover, brainstorming.
• It is possible to use brainstorming sessions in the classroom. They do, however, necessitate significant preparatory time for ultimate achievement.
• Individual students’ voices can meld with the group’s voice during brainstorming sessions. Consensus usually allows for the identification of the chosen concepts.
• Students lead the group in which they create their own ideas, establish evaluation standards, and manage group dynamics.
• Students can work together in a relaxed, informal learning setting.
• When tackling problems, students use brainstorming to hone or expand their higher order thinking abilities.
• All students are encouraged to contribute their ideas during a brainstorming session, regardless of how absurd they may sound to others. This encourages pupils to think creatively and beyond the box.
While brainstorming provides numerous benefits, there are some drawbacks as well. The issues are listed below.
Brainstorming sessions are sometimes a good way to promote real engagement and teamwork in the classroom. Combining a clearly stated problem with thoughtful planning techniques can result in significant idea production and concept development that can be used to difficulties or address particular course-related challenges.
Kalinga Plus is an initiative by Kalinga University, Raipur. The main objective of this to disseminate knowledge and guide students & working professionals.
This platform will guide pre – post university level students.
Pre University Level – IX –XII grade students when they decide streams and choose their career
Post University level – when A student joins corporate & needs to handle the workplace challenges effectively.
We are hopeful that you will find lot of knowledgeable & interesting information here.