One of the famous quotes by renowned writer Lon Watters is “School is a building which has four walls with tomorrow inside.”
A school decides the bright future of the children. There is an increase in the education system of India, which has, of course, strengthened the literacy rates and has contributed towards economic development.
Schools in India have been providing a world-class education for young minds and helping them develop academically and socially, and in becoming global citizens.
Here is a look at a few of the top schools in India.
St. Xavier’s Collegiate School, Kolkata
Considered to be one of the best schools in India, St. Xavier’s Collegiate is a private English-medium school for boys. It was started by the Jesuits in 1860 to impart education to Catholic boys. Now, the school grants admission to students irrespective of their religion, caste or creed.
- Xavier’s Collegiate School is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), which conducts the ISCE and ISC examinations in classes X and XII respectively. It also offers the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education curriculum, which conducts the Madhyamik exams after class X.
- Students can choose one of the two curricula for the secondary and higher secondary examinations up to the class X. Classes are held for ICSE and ISC boards from classes XI and XII, as the number of students opting for the West Bengal board is lower.
- The school organises extra-curricular activities such as elocution, debate, quiz, scouts and guides, photography, film screenings and sports including football, cricket, track and field, hockey, badminton and table tennis.
- The school also has a computer club, nature club, and a social service committee.
- Xavier’s Collegiate has two school buildings, one for the primary section (KG to class V) and another for the secondary section (classes VI to XII).
- The school has a library, science laboratories, computer labs and playground.
La Martiniere For Girls School, Kolkata
One of the most well-known schools in India, La Martiniere For Girls School has earned a reputation for excellence in the field of academics as well as extracurricular activities. The school focuses on the all-round development of each child and works towards making them responsible citizens.
- The school follows the ICSE and ISC curriculum.
- La Martiniere blends global education with strong local roots. The students are taught to think internationally as well as uphold their rich cultural heritage.
- The school ensures that academics and extracurricular activities go hand in hand, allowing for overall growth of the students. The extracurricular activities are organised through clubs including Bible Club, Easel Club, Science Club, Computer Club, Nature Club, Quiz Club, Safety Patrol, Drishti Club, Abhigyan Club and more.
- Sports activities include football, basketball, lawn tennis, swimming, golf and table tennis.
- La Martiniere For Girls offers excellent facilities including science laboratories, mathematics lab, geography lab, computer lab and resource room.
- The school also has a library, student counselling room, audio visual room and art room.
- There are also two spacious auditoriums, swimming pool, gymnasium, basketball court and a large playground.
The Doon School, Dehradun
Established in 1935, The Doon School is one of the finest schools in India. It strives to develop leadership in each student through its curriculum as well as societies, clubs and sports teams.
- The Doon School has developed its own curriculum, which is creative and intellectually rigorous for the D and C forms.
- For B and A forms, the school offers the CISCE examinations.
- For S and SC forms, the school offers the Indian School Certificate (ISC) examination and the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma. Constant practice is required here and it aims at improving students’ analytical skills along with numerical abilities. The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is a balanced education and academically challenging programme that prepares students for success at university and life beyond.
- The Doon School has an Art and Media School, a 25,000 square foot building with an Apple Mac studio, a film studio, an auditorium as well as museum spaces, a reading room and a trophy room.
- It also has The Careers Information, Education and Guidance Department with its own office in the Art and Media Centre. Its library consists of hard copy and digital resources for both students and teachers to use for research.
- Other facilities include the The Kilachand Library, the school’s amphitheatre The Rose Bowl, The Music School, science department with a museum, shooting range, wellness centre and indoor and outdoor sports facilities.
Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul International School, Hyderabad
Established in the year 1994, Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul International School is a residential boys-only school and offers day boarding facility, too.
- Affiliated to CBSE, this school offers classes from I to XII.
- The school has international playgrounds and lush green campus which is spread over 35 acres.
- The Framework of Gurukul Education is based on three principal aspects: Vidya- Modern Education, Sadvidya- Traditional Education and Brahmavidya- Spiritual Education.
- It has well-equipped science labs, computer lab, and spacious classrooms.
- The school has a medical room for emergencies and regular health care.
Little Flower High School, Hyderabad
Established in July 1953, Little Flower High School provides holistic education to meet the needs of the individual and the society.
- The school follows the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) curriculum. It imparts education in English and provides Telugu and Hindi as options for first and second languages.
- The school aims at an education which is person-oriented, professional or work-oriented and social and culture-related. It imparts education with an international outlook and aims at achieving Universal Brotherhood.
- It has a vibrant curriculum due to the students’ active involvement in experiments, project work, and other assignment works.
- The school provides a library to both its primary school and high school sections.
- It has computer and language labs, digital library, art and craft rooms, audio visual room and auditorium.
- Other facilities include a gymnasium, volleyball courts, basketball courts, cricket pitch, and indoor badminton courts.
Mother’s International, Delhi
The Mother’s International School has been ranked as one of the top 10 schools in India and is an establishment of the Sri Aurobindo Education Society which is an agency of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram.
- The school is affiliated to the CBSE and also offers All India Senior School Certificate Examination and All India Secondary School Examination.
- It implements the 10+2 Scheme of Education.
- Mother’s International is recognized by the Directorate of Education, Delhi, and also as a social institution.
- The school building is divided into two blocks – one for the junior section (comprised of pre-primary and primary classes) and one for the senior section (middle and senior classes).
- For the primary section, the facilities provided include a children’s park, math lab, computer science lab, library, Montessori room, activity room, two art and craft rooms, dance and music halls, pottery lab, yoga room and assembly hall.
- For the junior section, the school has two labs each for biology, chemistry and physics, home science lab, Comprehensive Technology Centre, library, audio-visual Hall, two art and craft rooms, dance hall, yoga room and Batik lab.
Bombay Scottish School, Mumbai
Popularly known as Scottish, the Bombay Scottish School (BSS) is a private, co-educational day school established in 1847. It has been ranked one of the top ten schools in India for the past 80 decades and one of the most prestigious educational institutions in Mumbai.
- The school is affiliated to the CISCE, New Delhi, which conducts the ICSE examination at the close of class X and the ISC examination in class XII.
- Integral to the curriculum are a variety of activities that provide each student an opportunity for the development of a wholesome personality.
- The school offers the Advanced Placement Programme which is affiliated to the College Board in the US.
- There are two libraries in the school: one is spacious over 20,000 books, housed in the heritage wing. The other is a smaller library accessible to the senior students housed in the east wing. Computers with restricted internet access have been recently installed in both the libraries.
- The school has state-of-the-art laboratories for Chemistry, Physics and Biology, where students carry out their practical work. These laboratories are equipped with interactive digital boards.
- There are two air-conditioned computer labs equipped with advanced computers, accessible to students from classes V to X. There is a third lab for the primary section and robotics classes.
St. John’s High School, Chandigarh
Founded in 1959 by the Congregation of Christian Brothers, the school is an Edmund Rice Educational Institute. St. John’s High School has been the best school in the tri-city for the years 2013, 2014, 2015.
- This institute follows the CBSE curriculum and is recognized by Chandigarh Education Department. The Creative Learning Integrated Programme (CLIP) offered by the school encourages creativity and adventure among students.
- The school has introduced lesson and worksheet booklets and quarterly interdisciplinary books to replace books in classes. This has helped students develop an interdisciplinary approach towards education.
- The school houses a multimedia room and two large computer labs. It was awarded the National Computer Literacy Award in the category of private schools for excellence in computer literacy and IT in school at an early stage of schooling, by the Ministry of Information and Technology.
- John’s High School houses a literary club that is designed to encourage its budding authors and poets.
- There are three well-equipped, well-lit and airy maths and science labs accessible for students from classes VI to XII.
- Other facilities include a music room, learning centre for junior section, counselling cell for seniors, and also the science club, aerospace club, the tech club (robotics), drama club, the dance club, chef club, and the photography club.
- List Of 25 Best Schools In India